©Kate Burn Photography

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Partnership Between a Gay Mayor and a Christian Evangelist

One thing Bridge People are about is destroying stereotypes. Who will deign to work with whom? These paradoxes of peacemaking are in part what draw me to people who do bridge work, and I’m not referring to dental labs.

In one of the US’s most secular cities, Portland, the openly gay mayor, Sam Adams was desperate to meet the needs of the city’s poor and its schools. Along came Kevin Palau, vice president of the Luis Palau Association, known worldwide for its evangelism festivals. Palau offered to organize volunteers from evangelical, mainstream Protestant, and Catholic churches to mentor at-risk youth and provide food, clothing and shelter to the needy of Portland.

Evangelicals have been addressing these kinds of needs for a long time, but what is new here is the openness exhibited by both Palau, who is vocally against gay marriage and abortion, and Adams, who is gay, to overlooking their differences in order to serve their community.


In my previous post, I wrote about resistance to the idea of bridging social, political and cultural gaps. As much as we, and I include myself of course, give lip service to wanting to bring peace on earth, we often seem to revel in polarization. It was an evangelical friend who called my attention to the Adams-Palau collaboration, and I confess that I wasn’t sure I wanted to give it coverage. After all, so many in the world, including me, have been hurt by evangelicals’ actions. But here is something to encourage, to say we can work together, even when we don’t share core beliefs and methods. We do share our humanness. Thanks to that friend for telling me about the bridge in Portland.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you enjoyed this post or found it interesting, I welcome your comments.